Blanche Bryden Summer Institute
for the Advanced Study of Chamber Music
for High School Students
June 12 – 18, 2016
The Blanche Bryden Summer Institute is a summer camp held on the campus of Washburn University in Topeka, Kansas. Students will be selected through auditions submitted online to form four chamber ensembles: a string quartet, two woodwind quintets and a brass quintet. The selected students will:
- Receive coaching daily by Sunflower Music Festival Orchestra professional musicians
- Participate in their own master classes, independent study and group rehearsal
- Observe the Festival orchestra and chamber ensemble rehearsals
- Performance opportunities will include outreach concerts in the community.
- The High School Institute formal concert will take place Saturday, June 18th at 3 p.m. in White Concert Hall as part of the Sunflower Music Festival. A reception will follow.
There will also be plenty of opportunities to interact with the professional musicians performing in the Sunflower Music Festival Orchestra.
Woodwinds – Margaret Marco, associate professor of oboe & Sarah Frisof, assistant professor of flute, University of Kansas
Brass – Bryan Kennedy, horn, Detroit Symphony
Strings – YuFang Chen, assistant professor of violin, Washburn University
Masterclasses given by:
Charles Stegeman, violin, Co-founder and Concertmaster of the Sunflower Music Festival
Alex Klein, grammy award-winning oboist and founder of the Santa Catarina Music Festival of Brazil
Please fill out the online application, include an audition and submit with an application fee of $50.00 through the Sunflower Music Festival website by clicking here to be considered. Application fee is non-refundable.
*Deadline for the application is April 1, 2016.
Fees for the Institute:
Room and Board: $350 per student
Tuition: There is no charge for tuition. The Blanche Bryden Foundation has generously provided funding to support all tuition fees for the week-long Institute.
Housing will be provided in Kuehne Hall, exclusively designated for Blanche Bryden participants, on the campus of Washburn University. Meals will be catered by Chartwell’s of Washburn University.